Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Isaac Hayes - By the Time I get to Phoenix

With apologies to Bo Diddley (whose "Gun Slinger" I could not find on the YouTubes), I wanted this last post of '08 to pay tribute to a legend in his own right. The unabridged track, from Hot Buttered Soul, runs more than 18 minutes. This cuts out the 8-minute intro and goes straight into the song. I assume most of us have heard the whole thing, but if you haven't I would recommend giving it a listen.

(The original is by Glen Campbell, and sort of sucks, but Nick Cave also gave it a whirl.)

5 comments:

(Dan) said...

!!
Love this album, which also contains the sample used in Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos.

(Dan) said...

Of course now I have to agonize over following you.

Whisk E. Bear said...

Success!

To be honest, I wasn't sure who the Isaac fans among us might be, but it's good to know you're a believer. And that album is awesome, of course.

Craig said...

You know who doesn't own this album? This guy.

Eric said...

I own this! And the Isaac Hayes Movement. I think that's it, though. Oh, the soundtrack from Shaft. I have that...somewhere. I may have to look for it, actually.

Anyway,'tis awesome, of course.