Friday, January 30, 2009

The Wailers - Concrete Jungle

So....we haven't had any reggae here yet, so here's the obligatory Wailers song (fortunately it didn't make the cut for Legend, although who knows why not). What I really wanted to do was spotlight "The Old Grey Whistle Test", one of the great repositories for live performance videos, especially in the Youtube era. It ran from 1971 to 1987 on BBC2 and featured a shitload of the best British and British-loved (Tom Waits was on it twice, all you Waits weirdos) artists. And some terrible ones too, of course. OGWT clips are always peppered throughout those VH1 top 100 lists and other such things. This is the Wailers' first UK performance, and was a pretty important milestone in the increasing popularity of reggae music there in the early-70's.

4 comments:

Sycophantman said...

Dude, I'm so high right now...

Sycophantman said...

Oh, by the by, I think I'm winning so far in overall comments made per post.

*yes*

*YES...!*

Steve said...

Smoking herb is okay cause it comes from da urt.
Next "reggae" post I request Desmond Dekker or something with a lot of riddim.
Ya blood clot.

Craig said...

I would have picked something more adventurous, but I really did want to do an OGWT video. It was between this and the Brinsley Schwarz one, and even though that one features Whispering Bob Harris, the song is kind of lackluster.