Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Marvin Gaye - Here My Dear / I Met A Little Girl

So ... that happened.

Beyond the legitimately awful album art, I'd often heard this was a bit of an underrated classic. I never got around to listening to it until I bought it on vinyl this past weekend. And it's awesome.

Some background: The album is the story of Gaye's divorce from his first wife, Anna Gordy. Perhaps hilariously, it was written to fulfill his divorce settlement -- he had agreed to pay a portion of the royalties from his next album as alimony. Definitely hilariously, the album tanked. I don't post this on the occasion of a breakup, but I can think of one or two for which this would have been apropos.

2 comments:

Craig said...

I mentioned this album, briefly, in my Phil Spector post.

Whisk E. Bear said...

Ah, I remember that now.

I had thought about going with "A Funky Space Reincarnation" and its goofy music video, but then wiki reminded me that the song was in that perfume commercial with Charlize Theron.