Monday, November 16, 2009

KMD- Peachfuzz; Madvillain- All Caps

I've thought of doing a MF DOOM post before, and I figure I might as well do it today, as I've not really had any ideas for a while now.

First off, here's the video that sort of got me thinking on this a while ago. It's Mos Def talking about MF DOOM, and it's led to about a bazillion (wow, it recognizes bazillion as a word) posts on various hip hop message boards calling for a Mos Def/DOOM collaboration.



And then here's a KMD video. This was when DOOM was known as Zev Love X. If you want, look up some stuff about this group, as it's sort of interesting. Basically, this is a pretty standard, meaningless popish track, but they also did the whole five-percenter thing, and their second album (Black Bastards)was pulled because of a controversial cover/message



And then here's a track from "Madvillainy", a collaboration between DOOM and Mad Lib. Anyway, there's no real point to any of this, and that's why I'm not really explaining anything here, but I just sort of wanted to point out that this dude has had a weirder career than just about anyone I can think of. Going from pop-rap, to five percenter rap, to weird humorous villain persona in-which he's created a whole narrative that necessitates the mask, is pretty fucking bizarre.

1 comment:

Werdna said...

I've been listening to a lot of Born Into This and Unexpected Guests the past few weeks. Big DOOM hugs.