Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Magnetic Fields - Washington D.C.

Earlier this week, as you probably know, the Washington D.C. City Council voted to approve same-sex marriage in the District. I was at work when this happened, but got an email alert. I walked over to my boss (a gay dude living in California), and told him what had happened. Seeing his face light up with excitement, I was reminded of how not-abstract this issue is. "They have no excuse now. How can California continue denying us our rights?" he said/asked, a little bit giddy. This is a defining issue of our time. There is absolutely no excuse for continuing to deny American citizens the rights afforded to the ruling class. These aren't partisan political points; these are civil rights, and those who oppose them will be ashamed as are those who opposed similar movements throughout the 20th century. I already used Mississippi Goddam here, but everybody knows about New York, everybody knows about Maine, everybody knows about California goddam. And I mean every word of it.
So here's Washington D.C. It fits me to a T.


No comments: